Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chapter 6 of The Other Side of the Creek (Adonai)

I haven't thought up anything for this chapter, so I'll just see what Ben and Kaela do.

Chapter 6


Ben, Kaela, and the others had fallen asleep where they sat, too tired to crawl onto their sleeping mats after the battle. Ben was slumped in his chair, snoring (just a little) when he was awakened for the second time that night, this time by a bright light in the room.

He started awake and almost fell off his chair. There, standing almost right in front of him, was a man. The light was coming from him, and it was almost blinding. The man looked neither old nor young, and he had deep brown eyes that seemed to pierce right through Ben. Without being told, he knew this was Adonai.

"Hello, Ben." Adonai's voice was deep and rich and friendly, yet also majestic at the same time. "Welcome." he then turned to Kaela and immediately, she woke up with a start.

"Who--Adonai!" she cried, and then to Ben's astonishment, flung herself into his arms. "It's so nice to see you again!"

Again? She's seen him more than once?

Seeming to know what Ben was thinking, Adonai looked at him. "I appeared to her the night you two first arrived in Elandai." He paused and cocked an eyebrow at Ben. "Well, are you going to hug me?"

Ben giggled, without knowing why, and then wrapped his arms around the ageless man. "I'm sorry I didn't believe when I first came here."

"Everything has a reason," was all Adonai replied. Then he said, "Now, I am here to tell you what will happen in the battles ahead. I will not tell you everything, but I will give you both a word of advice." He looked at Kaela. "You will have to go on a mission that will be very dangerous. Stay with the light. And Ben,"

"Yes, Adonai?"

"You will also be challenged, but when you are, remember that things are not as they seem. And both of you, I will be with you always, even though you will not always see me. Goodbye!"

The man faded from view, and then Ben found himself back in his seat, with his eyes closed. He jerked them awake, and looked around. There was no sign of Adonai anywhere. Was it a dream? He wondered.

Ben saw Kaela, also fast asleep in her chair. Or so it seemed. The next instant, she woke up and stared back at her brother.

"Oh, Ben, I had a dream! Adonai came, and you were there too! He gave us each a bit of advice. He said--"

"--he told you to stay to the light--" Ben interrupted.

"--And he told you to remember that things are not always as they seem! Ben, did you have the same dream?"

"Yes, I did! It was so awesome! He also told both that he will always be with us, though we won't see him."

"Yeah. I wonder what my dangerous mission is going to be. I hope it doesn't involve spiders." Kaela shivered at the thought. "Or vakir."

Learka jerked awake suddenly. "What? Vakir? Where?"

Klii and Yev woke up when Learka spoke. "Vakir?" exclaimed Yev. "Huh?"

Ben and Kaela explained about Adonai's coming to visit them. When they were done, Yev sighed. "I wish I'd been awake. I haven't seen Adonai in ages."

Klii agreed. "Yes, it would have been wonderful. Maybe he'll come soon."

Learka nodded. "Same here. But what time is it? It must be morning, at least."

Yev climbed up to the hatch and cracked it open a little bit. "Oh, it's about...nine o'clock. We've really slept in. I'd better make breakfast."

She flew to the stove top and got busy cooking, while Ben and Kaela practiced their swordsmanship. Then they hurriedly sat down to breakfast.

"Later today we'll meet at Great Oak Hollow again, and decide the leaders of our little rebellion." Klii said thoughtfully during breakfast. "After that we're going to begin the march to Mahal. So right after breakfast we'd better leave for the meeting place."

They finished the meal, buckled on their swords, and then started out for Great Oak Hollow.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Ben and Kaela were pretty active in that one!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Izori

No comments: