Thursday, March 26, 2009

The March to Mahal (Chapter 9 of The Other Side of the Creek

According to the voting polls, naming my chapters won out. So...

9. The March to Mahal

Ben felt a little dizzy, like he was going to faint. Behind him, Kaela sucked in a rapid breath. "Who could have locked the door on us?" He asked.

Learka's mouth was a straight line. "It was probably just some well-meaning follower traveling down the main route when they saw this door unlocked. Naturally, they would lock it. Now the question is, how are we going to unlock it from the inside?"

"How did the ogres unlock it?" questioned Kaela.

"They must have brought skrakilae with them." Learka supposed. Seeing Ben and Kaela's look of confusion, he explained. "Skrakilae is plural for skrakil. They're a special kind of ogre. Daran uses those in his army as many things. They can shape-shift into a shadow and seep through really little cracks, and then turn back into ogres and unlock the door."

"Oh." said Kaela. "So I guess we can't use that method to get out."

"I thought of one. It's a little obvious." Ben announced.

Kaela and Learka looked at him. "What is it?"

"We ask Adonai to get us out."

Learka slapped his forehead. "Oh, well, that was obvious. And whatever happens, it's Adonai's will that it happens that way. He always has plans." He bowed his head. "Let's pray, shall we."

Ben and Kaela bowed their heads too, and Learka began speaking. "Adonai, if it's your will, please let us to get out of the Helinga Passageway. Your army will be marching soon, and Ben and Kaela might be needed. Please also let us not to grumble and think you're uncaring if for some reason you don't get us free immediately. Amen."

"Amen." Ben and his sister finished in unison.

Holding his breath, Learka tried the door. To everyone's immense joy, it swung open. As Ben stepped out with the other two into the main route, he had never felt so relieved. What he said aloud was, "Wow. Praying really worked!"

"That was so easy!" remarked Kaela. "All you have to do is ask."

"That reminds me of a part of the Book of Prophesies that my father read aloud to me and Yev." Learka said. "Knock, and the door will be opened. It's amazing that so many verses from it are similar to our situations."

"It is." Ben agreed. "Now, which way leads back to our dwelling? I always get mixed up in these tunnels."

"It would be to the left." Learka answered. "Come on."

They reached Klii and Yev a few minutes later and told them of their adventures.

Klii raised his eyebrows. "That was such a long time ago, when we closed the doors of Helinga. But while you three were gone, we got a message from Nolan. We are marching now for Mahal. The followers are supposed to meet in Great Oak Hollow as soon as we can."

Klii and Yev grabbed their swords (Ben, Kaela, and Learka already had theirs) and Learka and Yev also carried with them the weapons they had been working on for the past few days. Then they started out for Great Oak Hollow.

They gathered with the other followers at the designated meeting place, and mixed with the crowd for a little bit. Ben and Kaela were talking with Yersi and his twin sister when Klii walked up to them. "Ah, there you two are. Nolan wants us to come with him to the front of the room again."

Ben, Klii, Kaela, Learka, and Yev joined their leader at the front. Nolan addressed Klii. "I haven't quite thought of it until now, but what will the women and children do while we are fighting. Should they come with us on the campaign, or stay here. I would be a little worried at leaving them undefended though, and we haven't got enough numbers to split up."

Klii nodded. "I've been pondering that too. From what I remember of the southern tunnels, there are quite a few dwellings there that with a little bit of dusting can be quite inhabitable. They can follow along but stay in the tunnels while we go out and wage war. That way they'll be close so we can protect them."

Nolan raised his eyebrows. "I'll have to make you chief advisor. You're very wise."

"I guess there's a silver lining to growing old." Klii smiled. "The people are waiting for you to give out orders."

The leader turned to the followers. "We are going to be marching very soon. Everyone brought some long-lasting provisions for themselves, I hope."

Ben looked at Yev. He hadn't heard this part of the message. She winked to tell him that he didn't have to worry; she had taken care of it.

"Alright, Captains Gawain and Sam, come forward."

Gawain and Sam came to the front of the room and saluted. "Gather your lieutenants and men." He commanded.

Immediately a flock of men gathered around their officers. Now only the women, children, and old ones were standing where before a large crowd had been. "Because we would rather have our civilians close to us just in case there is an ogre attack, they will follow. I am told there are dwellings in the tunnels that they can stay in. I know that many are great praying warriors, but we must not be rash."

Nolan turned around to Klii, Ben, and their little group. "Klii, are you and Miss Yevelina counting yourselves as soldiers?"

"Adonai has spoken to me about this matter," the old man said. "Yev and I are to travel with you, Learka, Ben, and Kaela, but we will remain for now praying warriors."

"Very well, then. Come with me."

Nolan, Klii, Ben, Learka, Yev, and Kaela walked toward where Great Oak Hollow became a tunnel again. Then Nolan turn back. "Follow me!" he cried. "We march now!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go. Happy reading!

Izori

3 comments:

Catherine WhiteRose ~*~ said...

Keep going! I want to know what happens!

Dinalla

Catherine WhiteRose ~*~ said...

Izori,

Are you going to name the other chapters?

I think you should! :)

Dinalla

P.S.

I lke the title for this chapter!

Izori said...

Okay, I'll go back and name the chapters that I already have written. I like thinking up chapter names. Much easier than book names:-)

Izori