Do any of you guys put magic in the books you write? I do (surprisingly it's a lot easier to write about magic then, say, historical fiction, or science fiction). The bad thing about magic is that sometimes in books it can border on sorcery and black magic :(
The other problem about writing magic is that it's hard to think up really challenging problems for your characters. Because if they can't use magic and they have to sneak into an enemy post, they have to work really hard not to be seen, but if they can use magic then they just turn themselves invisible and voila. (I still like writing about magic, though :-)
What's your view on magic in books?
Izori
8 comments:
I usually don't write about magic, but that is just because one, I have not needed to, and two, I think it is more intresting without magic in the book (though in Christopher Paolini's books it works well).
Hope this helps!
Your fan,
Dinalla
You've read Paolini's books? Did you like them a lot? I do.
And yeah, it can get pretty interesting without magic, especially because there are more problems for your character to solve.
Izori
Hmm...I think that magic can be good in books if the author handles it well. This is helpful article on using magic in your writing - http://hollylisle.com/fm/Articles/rules-for-better-fantasy.html.
And some fantasy has less magic than others. You don't even need magic to write fantasy. I like what Shannon Hale said. She used "animal-speaking" in one of her novels. She said that it would have been hard to beleive that magic if she had had the human and the bird converse like two humans. She also said that when magic is used well, the reader won't even notice that it's magic!
~Rin~
Thanks, Rin. Those (and yours too, Dinalla) are pretty helpful insights.
Izori
To Izori,
Yes I have read Christopher Paolini's books (all three!) about three times each! I cannot wait for him to finish the forth!
Dinalla :)
I can't either! My favorite of his books is probably Eragon, and then Brisingr, and then Eldest.
I am right with you on that! That is the order of my favorites too!
Dinalla :)
Yeah. I didn't really like Eldest that much because the romance wasn't all that great and I didn't like Arya's character in that book. But it was still good.
Izori
Post a Comment