1. Similes! Instead of:
'The sunset was shining over the water'
write:
'Like a ball of fire, the red glimmered over the dark waves, which were ripples of silk in the salt breeze.'
'Like a ball of fire, the red glimmered over the dark waves, which were ripples of silk in the salt breeze.'
See? That's three times as much words! 21 compared to 7 may not seem significant on its own, but it really adds up in the long run.
2. Avoiding contractions. Now, I will warn you that it will make your writing seem much stiffer, but it's pretty good for if you're desperate. After NaNo, you can go back and fix it.
3. Dreams. They can be weird and far fetched, and they can be really long and descriptive!
4. Add a character that uses a lot of 'ums' and 'uhs' and 'stuff like thats'.
5. Describe something in great detail!
Now excuse me while I go and put those tips to use!
2. Avoiding contractions. Now, I will warn you that it will make your writing seem much stiffer, but it's pretty good for if you're desperate. After NaNo, you can go back and fix it.
3. Dreams. They can be weird and far fetched, and they can be really long and descriptive!
4. Add a character that uses a lot of 'ums' and 'uhs' and 'stuff like thats'.
5. Describe something in great detail!
Now excuse me while I go and put those tips to use!
2 comments:
Great tips!
I have used about, oh, one contraction in all my 25,000 word draft, and I doubt that I will use any more in the next 25,000+ words!
Good tips. :)
Post a Comment