This book might be going a little slower than the first two. Sorry about that; with my dad's cancer and all, things are getting sorta hectic.
Chapter 2
A few days later, Kaela, Ben, and their cousins, Josh and Lindsey, sat on the floor of Josh's room.
"What? You're moving?" Lindsey stared in disbelief. "What will that mean for Elandai?"
Kaela shrugged. "I wish I knew. Yeshua promised that we could go back again--all of us, not just me and Ben--so maybe something will work out. Maybe...maybe the whole moving thing will be called off or...something! Anything!"
Ben frowned. "I have a suspicious feeling that we will move. What that means for Elandai, I have no clue. Probably doesn't mean much good."
Josh ran his hand through his patch of light brown hair. "Well, Yeshua promised that we all would go back. And Yeshua isn't one to break his word."
--- --- ---
It was a few weeks later. Ben sighed as he shoved the last box into the moving truck, and then turned to look back at their house. The sale had gone quickly-- his Dad's company had arranged a buyer within days--and it had barely begun to sink in that they were selling there house before it wasn't their house anymore.
I guess I was right--we really are moving. This is probably the one instance where I wish I was wrong.
He walked inside the house. It looked like an empty husk now, with all the furniture moved out, and all the pictures off the wall. But that wasn't what he was thinking about.
I think I'm going to check on the creek one last time, Ben told himself, still desperately trying to believe that they would have one more adventure in Elandai. He knew that they wouldn't; neither him nor Kaela had received a dream or anything else telling them to cross the creek. But maybe, just this once, they could just step in and out real quick. Just long enough to see their old friends again.
And we have quite a lot of them, he smiled to himself. There was Klii, Learka, and Yev, who had all first introduced him and Kaela to the world of Elandai. Then there was Nolan, the average Elandaian follower who had become leader, and then later king. In the second adventure, Hans, Tristan...countless others...had helped the cousins, guiding them along.
A noise made him turn. Kaela had entered the door and was looking around at the empty house with an odd expression.
"Well...are you thinking what I am?" she asked, glancing his way.
He nodded. "Yes. Come on."
The siblings briskly stepped out of the house, and then entered the back yard. From there was a small path, that eventually led to a large path.
Kaela grinned at her brother, and then took off running down the path. "I'll beat you to the creek!" she yelled over her shoulder.
Ben gave chase immediately, laughing as he called, "Hey! You got a head start!"
Kaela beat Ben by a close shot, and then the two stood, panting, on the bank of the creek. Finally, Ben moved, wading into the water.
He made it to the other side of the creek, and then stopped there. Looking across, he could still see signs of modern things--unlike last time.
Kaela crossed the creek and stood next to him. Disappointed, she shook her head. "I don't think it's working, Ben."
A voice came from behind them. "You came here for one last look, too?"
Startled, Ben turned. "Oh, hi Mom. You sort of scared us."
Mom smiled. "Sorry about that. I was just taking a walk around the woods, remembering everything. Y'know?"
Kaela nodded. "Mom, do you think our new house will have a creek?"
"Well...it's in a subdivision..."
"But don't we live in a subdivision? Or, didn't we just used to?" Ben persisted.
"This isn't a rural subdivision. We're talking real subdivision. Closer to the city." Mom ruffled Ben's blond hair, something which had grown a lot harder now that Ben towered above his mother. "Don't worry, pumpkin. If Yeshua said you'd come back to Elandai, then he meant it."
Then the three of them waded back across the creek.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I sympathize with Ben when his mom called him 'pumpkin'. I used to get called potato-head for some insane reason.
Izori
P.S. Do y'all have any suggestions for titles for this book? I still have no clue what I'm going to name it.
1 comment:
You could call it A new Elandai
Post a Comment