Monday, August 10, 2009

Next Elandai Book (which is unnamed for now): Chapter 1, Moving

On to a new book! Exciting, huh! I still need to decide which Elandaian time period I should put my characters in. Well, I got a vague idea, actually, but I'm not telling yet =).

Chapter 1

Mikaela Wilson slumped at her computer, her fingers hovered over the keys. Her face scrunched into a frown, and then she sighed.

"Oh, it's no use!"she said aloud, greatly frustrated. "Why can't I start writing already!"

The tall, blond, eleven year old pushed her chair away from the computer and stood up. Mikaela (most people called her Kaela) had been trying for several days now to write a story. It wasn't just any story, though.

Two years ago, Kaela, her brother named Ben, and her cousins, Josh and Lindsey, had discovered a world that was located just across the creek behind the Wilson's house. Actually, Ben and Kaela had already discovered it before Josh and Lindsey came along, and at first they had regretted that their cousins were accompanying them. At least, that was before they met Yeshua.

Ben and Kaela already knew Yeshua (or more specifically, they knew him by the name of Adonai) from their first adventure in that world, which was called Elandai. He was powerful, strong, and mighty, and helped the siblings to defeat Daran, the most evil creature Kaela ever knew of. She couldn't bring herself to call him a person, seeing as he really wasn't. She didn't quite know exactly what he was, actually, but she did know he wasn't a human. The thought of Daran made Kaela shiver.

In the adventure with their cousins, Yeshua gave Daran a wound that would prove mortal, yet not in the way everyone expected; he allowed Daran to kill him for the sake of the fallen land of Elandai. And then he had rose again.

The adventure had changed all of them, but especially Josh and Lindsey. Before it, they had been spoiled and bratty. But by the end, they had followed Yeshua, and they had changed--for the better. As a matter of fact, Ben and Kaela were going to see their cousins tomorrow, and were looking forward to it.

All of this, Kaela had wanted to write down. She wanted to remember it forever and always, yet she couldn't find the right words to begin. For some reason, they were eluding her.

Maybe it's just to awesome to write about, Kaela thought. Or maybe it's because I'm forgetting. It has been two years, after all!

She jumped as the garage opened, letting out it's customary grinding sound. A few seconds later, Ben came into the house.

"H'lo, Kaela," he greeted her. "What's up?"

Ben was sixteen now, and could drive. He looked a lot like Kaela--tall, blond, blue-eyed, and gangly--but his voice was much deeper, and yellow fuzz had begun to grow on his upper lip. He was several inches taller, too.

She twirled a few strands of her hair on her finger, a habit she had picked up. "I'm trying to write about Elandai. But I can't figure out how to start!"

"Oh, that's easy," Ben snorted. "From the beginning, I would think!"

Kaela sighed, exasperated. "I wish it was that easy! You can't just start 'Once upon a time, two kids were walking in the woods and they crossed over their creek', you know. It has to be something that catches the readers mind, making him (or her) want to keep on reading to find out what will happen."

Ben's eyes widened. "Wow, maybe you do know something about writing. Just continue that thought, and you'll get something. Possibly."

Her shoulders slumped. "I wish I knew someone who had a few tips on writing. But it seems like no one's interested these days. Or at least, no one that I know."

"Well, doesn't--what's her name? The short one with the dyed black hair that's about your age-- Stephanie, isn't it?"

Kaela shook her head. "No, you mean Bethany."

"Right. Anyway, doesn't she write some?" Ben asked.

She shook her head. "No; she just reads. Besides, she's really busy now with school and all." The Wilsons were homeschooled, and they often finished their schooling before their friends did.

Ben shrugged. "Well, I can't think of anything else...oh, Mom wanted me to tell you that she'll be coming home later from the library than she expected. There's a huge amount of kids needing school books, and she's stuck in the middle of a checkout line that isn't moving. And Dad's coming home early. Mom said to eat without her if we have to so we can get on time for your bagpipe recital tonight."

"Bagpipe recital?" Kaela gasped. "I completely forgot!"

"Well, then you'd better start practicing," advised Ben. "I guess I'll get dinner on for you, then."
--- --- ---

The day after Kaela's bagpipe recital, the whole Wilson family sat at the dinner table, eating.

"Hey, Dad?" Kaela asked. "I forgot to tell you this earlier, but my teacher said that I'm doing really well. He suggested that I graduate to the next level. I'll have to have forty-five minute lessons twice a week, but I think it'll be worth it. Can I graduate?"

Dad looked at Mom, and she looked at him back. "Um...Angela, would you like to explain?" Dad asked.

"Perhaps you'd better," Mom answered.

"Oh, alright. Ben, Kaela, I was hoping we could avoid this...but it looks like we're going to have to move again."

Kaela sat bolt upright. "Move?!"

"Move?" Ben asked, not quite so shrilly.

Dad nodded. "Yes, move. I'm sorry."

Kaela looked stricken. "But...the creek!"

Mom cleared her throat. "I knew you would say that. Do you think there's only one way to get into Elandai?"

"Well, yes..." Ben hesitated. "I'm pretty sure."

"I wouldn't underestimate how awesome Adonai is, Ben," Mom corrected. "It would come as no surprise if there is another way into Elandai." Both Mom and Dad had entered Elandai when they were young, and knew much more about it then Ben and Kaela did.

"So the answer is no, Kaela," Dad said. "I'm sorry, but we just won't have time. We're going to have to move in two weeks, and we have boxes to pack."

"Oh, that's okay, Dad," answered Kaela, distracted. I sure do hope Mom's right about more ways to Elandai. I would hate to never visit again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bet you didn't see that one coming, huh?

Izori

4 comments:

Catherine WhiteRose ~*~ said...

It seems like many books have their character's moving, but all of them have their charaters complaining a whole lot about it. This was suprisingly different, and I'm glad! :)

Dinalla

Izori said...

I'm trying to keep Ben and Kaela as 'whine-free' as possible. After all, they've had adventures in Elandai, and that has matured them a whole lot.

iGirl said...

I love the fact that their much older. This book is really exciting so far.


P.s.
How did you think of bagpipe lessons?

Izori said...

Thank you! Now that Ben's really old (sixteen), Kaela might become my main-ish character, since she's around my age. However, I still feel loyal to Ben, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to do a few chapters in his perspective.

I was going to have it that Kaela played the violin, but that's too run-of-the-mill. I love bagpipe music, I know someone who plays the bagpipe very well, and I thought it would be interesting that she played them.