Chapter 14
Kaela gulped as she looked at Ben's receding back, and then turned and followed her own tunnel. To try and not dwell on her fear of being alone in the tunnels, she thought of Adonai. It was amazing to her that with just a wave of his hand, he could create tunnels deep in the earth on the spur of a moment. And his blood could melt chains...talk about real power. She had heard kids talk about witches and sorcerers, back on earth, and how they had pretty strong powers--seeing the future through a ball, turning people into frogs, and so on--but they always got their powers from bad things, like torturing cats. And when they got the power they used it for bad purposes, like making people miserable or frightened. Adonai wasn't like that at all.
She then reviewed her instructions in her head. What were they? Oh yes, travel along the tunnel until I get to Mahal (I hope I'll know when I've gotten to Mahal), and then find the dungeons and then sprinkle the blood on the enslaved people there...how do I know where to look for the dungeons? I'm not so sure I can do this.
Kaela walked onward through the tunnel (which sloped up, sometimes rather sharply) until she came to a door. It was plain and made of wood, with some writing on it. Without knowing it, both Ben and Kaela were experiencing the same thing at the same time. And just like her brother at the opposite place in the tunnels, Kaela found that she could suddenly understand the wording on the door. That doesn't make sense, she frowned as she read the words. Then again, suddenly finding ourselves in Elandai and then being chased by Ogres and then falling through some peoples' underground roof doesn't make much sense, either.
These were the words Kaela saw:
These were the words Kaela saw:
Go past my gates, but keep about your wits
Watch your head, do not be hit.
Agblith the password, up is the way
Or save your skin for another day.
Watch your head, do not be hit.
Agblith the password, up is the way
Or save your skin for another day.
Kaela stared at the words, not very comforted. But at least it was a clue. So, apparently I should be careful otherwise I'll 'get hit'--I think I know what get hit means. 'Agblith the password', I'll have to have a password? Oh well, passwords are a good thing to know. And I'd better go up, I guess. Or I could 'save my skin for another day'.
"Well, that's optimistic!" she told herself aloud. "But I know what to do. So..." Kaela grasped the handle and pushed open the door.
What she found was not at all comforting. She was now standing on a sport of stone ledge, coming out of the side of a tower.
How'd I get up this high? I thought I was in the ground all the time. Well, whatever it was, Adonai arranged it.
Below her was the city of Mahal in all it's dark glory. The buildings were either black or red, and there were Ogres milling around in the streets below. The sky was almost a blood red, and there was one central building that emitted an evil glow almost the same color as the sky. It gave Kaela the jitters.
From another wall arrows came streaking down from outside, and the Ogres, of which some were now flopped on the ground with the followers' arrows stuck in them, rushed over there, shooting their own projectiles. Nolan and the troops were doing a wonderful job fighting.
Then Kaela remembered the riddle on the door. 'Agblith the password, up is the way'. I guess I head up.
She looked up at the steep climb up the tower. That may not be as simple as it sounds.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would have finished this chapter earlier, but Mom offered me a popsicle on the porch and..heh heh, I couldn't refuse. (Hey, it was lime-flavored. My favorite :D) And then we had to go get the baseball field ready for tomorrow's game--yes, I play baseball, my brother talked me into it this year--, and now it's 8:41 at night, so at least I was loyal and finished the chapter!
Izori
P.S. I just realized we only have one or two chapters to go! :-(
"Well, that's optimistic!" she told herself aloud. "But I know what to do. So..." Kaela grasped the handle and pushed open the door.
What she found was not at all comforting. She was now standing on a sport of stone ledge, coming out of the side of a tower.
How'd I get up this high? I thought I was in the ground all the time. Well, whatever it was, Adonai arranged it.
Below her was the city of Mahal in all it's dark glory. The buildings were either black or red, and there were Ogres milling around in the streets below. The sky was almost a blood red, and there was one central building that emitted an evil glow almost the same color as the sky. It gave Kaela the jitters.
From another wall arrows came streaking down from outside, and the Ogres, of which some were now flopped on the ground with the followers' arrows stuck in them, rushed over there, shooting their own projectiles. Nolan and the troops were doing a wonderful job fighting.
Then Kaela remembered the riddle on the door. 'Agblith the password, up is the way'. I guess I head up.
She looked up at the steep climb up the tower. That may not be as simple as it sounds.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would have finished this chapter earlier, but Mom offered me a popsicle on the porch and..heh heh, I couldn't refuse. (Hey, it was lime-flavored. My favorite :D) And then we had to go get the baseball field ready for tomorrow's game--yes, I play baseball, my brother talked me into it this year--, and now it's 8:41 at night, so at least I was loyal and finished the chapter!
Izori
P.S. I just realized we only have one or two chapters to go! :-(
2 comments:
Great chapter! Are you going to do a cover for it? Is "The Other Side of The Creek" the "offical" title?
I wait in ernest!
Dinalla
P.S.
I like lime popsicles too! :)
I *might* do a cover for my story. And "The Other Side of the Creek" is the official title. And I *love* lime popsicles! My second favorite flavor is orange.
Post a Comment