Chapter 16
Grinning from ear to ear, Ben stared at the place where Mahal had once been. Now it was perfectly smooth, as if everything had never took place. He turned around to talk to the others and noticed that the trees behind them, once old and dead, were not rapidly turning green. Some of them had blooms on them, and even from here Ben noticed the happy twittering of birds.
Kaela grinned from ear to ear, standing beside Learka and Nolan. "Isn't it awesome?" she cried. "We finally did it! Now tell me everything you did, Ben."
Ben was about to tell her when the women and children thronged up out of the tunnels to help celebrate the victory. Klii and Yev joined them, and then Ben recited his story for all. After he was finished Kaela also told what she had experienced. When they were both done, Ben said, "So, I guess that's the end of Daran?"
Klii shook his head. "Not to dampen the mood, but it isn't, and won't be for a long time. In the Book of Prophesies it is written that Adonai will come in actual person, and not just in our minds, and will conquer Daran for good. But even then it will take a while for Daran to die of his wounds. But for now, we can celebrate."
Learka looked toward the tunnels, which were now opened. "And from what my nose tells me, the women are already preparing a feast!"
Yev raised her eyebrows. "Really? Well then, I'd better help them! See you guys!"
It didn't take long to prepare a huge meal for all the followers with literally all the women in Elandai cooking. There was lamb, pork, chicken, meat pies, fresh baked bread, sweet potatoes, salads, and more for the main meal. And for dessert was pie of every kind, something that tasted a lot like ice-cream, tarts, pudding, cakes, and cookies, to name a few. Ben's mouth watered at the smells, and he coudn't wait for it to be time to eat.
Ben sat down with Klii, Learka, Kaela, Yev, and Nolan and his family, and happily enjoyed a piece of lamb. Opposite him, Kaela bit down into a piece of pie. Apparently there were no rules on eating dessert first.
When he was finally finished, Ben set down a chicken bone and then looked up to say something to Learka. To his surprise, he was sitting on the grass, with Kaela, besides a very familiar-looking creek. They were alone. Why, this is the creek that started this whole adventure! It looks totally alike, except the trees are alive. Ben realized. Kaela must have been thinking the same thing too, because she said, "We have to go home already? We didn't get to say goodbye to the others!"
Just then there was a flash, and then Adonai appeared in front of them. He was smiling, just like always. "Don't worry, they know that you wanted to say goodbye. And yes, it is time for you to go home. This adventure here is over."
"This adventure?" Ben asked hopefully. "You mean, there'll be more?"
"Yes, definately," Adonai assured him. "And they will come soon, so always be ready."
"We will!" The siblings chorused. They knew they'd look forward to coming to Elandai again.
There was a slight pause, and then Ben said, "I guess this is goodbye."
"Acutally, it isn't."
Kaela's eyes bugged out. "Really? So we aren't leaving yet?"
"You are, but this isn't goodbye," Adonai explained. "I am always with you, to the end of the age, you know. Even if you go into another world."
Both Ben and Kaela were confused. "But we've never heard of you in our world," Kaela pointed out.
Adonai smiled at her. "I have many names. I am simply known by different ones in your world." Then he turned and pointed to the creek. "Now is your time to cross. Goodbye!"
"Goodbye!" Ben and Kaela called back, and then they stepped into the stream.
Halfway across, Ben looked back at the other side of the creek. Adonai had disappeared. When he looked forward, he could see signs of the modern world; houses, the spray-painted board, and he could hear the occasional trucks back on the roads.
Ben and Kaela reached the other side, and then climbed back onto the path. They looked at each other. They were both wearing their modern clothes, and their swords were gone. "Was that real?" Kaela asked. "Were we dreaming?"
For some reason, Ben knew that it actually did happen. "That was real." He whistled. "But wasn't that awesome? We didn't even know that this world existed, and then whoomph, we suddenly were there!"
"It's certainly not something your average kid would experience," Kaela agreed.
They started walking on the path toward home. Then Ben had an awful thought. "Oh my goodness!" he exclaimed. "How long has it been since we've left home? Mom and Dad must have called the police by now!"
Kaela squinted up at the sun. "The sun's in the same position," she observed.
Ben glanced down at his watch. "And it's the same time, pretty much." He frowned. "How could that be? Did we take no time at all?"
There was a moment of silence, and then Kaela spoke. "Well, Elandai is a different world, so who's to say that they don't have a different time?" This was the only explanation they could think of that made sense, so they moved on.
A few minutes later they arrived at their house. Racing up their yard, they both banged into the house. Mom and Dad were both sitting at the kitchen table, waiting for them. When she saw her kids' shining faces, Mom smiled. "So, you got my note?"
Ben plopped down in a chair. "You knew of Elandai?" he asked.
Dad nodded. "Yes. The last time we visited was long ago, but I still remember much of it. Did you guys have fun?"
Kaela nodded. "Oh, yeah. First of all, we went to the creek, and when we crossed it, we got shot at by Ogres, and then we fell through Klii, Learka, and Yev's roof..."
It took a while for Ben and Kaela to explain their adventures to their parents. When they were done, Mom's smile grew. "It sounded like you guys should plan on going back. And you probably want to, don't you?"
"Definitely," the siblings said at the same time.
Mom looked at the clock on the stove. "Good grief, it's getting late! You guys need to hurry up and get ready for today. You have piano lessons at two o'clock, and then Kaela has gymnastics at four, and Ben, remember your swim team..."
Ben smiled as he dashed up the stairs to get ready. He didn't know how he would concentrate today after Elandai. The continuous sword-fights, dangers, and excitement was a hard-to-break habit. And we'll go back soon! He reminded himself, feeling shivers go up and down his spine at the thought. I can't wait!
The End
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, I didn't actually think I'd ever be done with "The Other Side of the Creek" for a long while. When the poll for a sequel or not is finished, I'll know if I'll write another story like this one. (I hope I do)
Izori
Wow, I didn't actually think I'd ever be done with "The Other Side of the Creek" for a long while. When the poll for a sequel or not is finished, I'll know if I'll write another story like this one. (I hope I do)
Izori
2 comments:
Izori,
GREAT BOOOK!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVED IT (and still do :D)!
Hope you write another one!
Dinalla
I'm hoping that I'll write another one, too! I already know what's it'll be about. I'm not going to tell, though! :D
Izori
Post a Comment