Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Names

Rin requested that I do another post on thinking up names a few days ago. I've done a couple of posts on this a few months earlier, and you can click on this and this to read them. And now here are a few other tips.

1). Think of syllables and sounds that are interesting. I like Z and TH, EO, and LEI. Then form names from those, like Theolith or Zeliar.

2). This one works a lot for me: just sit and doodle. Write down random letters, and then rearrange them.

3). Be observant. You know where I got the name 'Izori' from? Some of my shirts have a tag on them that says 'Izod'. Just take out the 'd' and add a 'zi' and there's my name! I got it from that. And sometimes there are regular names that sound pretty good. Like Oen, or Mhegan.

When you've thought up some names, I would suggest keeping them in a small notebook. That way if you're writing a story and need a name for a character, you don't have to try and remember a name that you thought up a month ago, thought it was great, but didn't write it down. You'll just simply flip open the notebook and find a good name. I do this, and I probably have close to 400 names in it.

Izori

3 comments:

Catherine Morland said...

Thank you! :) I used to have a name notebook but I lost it.:( I'm going to go make up some new names write now!! Boys names are the hardest.

Eldarwen said...

Thank you, that will help a lot because I'm currently working on a book to someday possibly publish. If not publish, I could post it on my blog for everyone to read.

~Eldarwen Failariel~

Izori said...

You're welcome!