It may just be September, but November is coming up rapidly! And one of the highlights of that month is...National Novel Writing Month! Just in case you've been living in a cave, NaNoWriMo is a contest where you have to write a 50,000+ word novel in thirty days. It doesn't sound easy (and there are parts where it isn't) but not everything that's hard is bad!
Here are some reasons why you should consider doing NaNoWriMo:
1. It's a great way to get over perfectionism. You have to stay caught up, which means that you'll write over any bumps. They can always be smoothed out in editing, and it's never a good habit to stress over every awkward-sounding word.
2. Your writing style expands. And I mean expands.
3. You actually finish a book!
4. You gain confidence in your writing ability.
Unfortunately, there are some down sides:
1. You find yourself leaving out contractions (like you're and it's) and awkwardly going out of your way to get five extra words!
2. It's an excuse to leave your school work and chores unfinished.
3. You can develop carpal tunnel syndrome...like I did. =)
In my opinion, the benefits greatly outweigh the bad stuff. I will just get up at 5:30 AM so I can get writing in. During NaNoWriMo, I didn't fall behind on school work at all, but I think that's just kind of my personality--to get everything done. For someone else, it might be a lot harder.
Before you do NaNoWriMo, you should also take your schedule into account. If you're like me, making major transitions like high school and jobs and chores at the same time, then you might want to make sure you'll be able to stay caught up with other parts of your life if you do NaNo.
You might find NaNoWriMo hard, and you might find it super easy. But it's almost guaranteed that you'll find it awesome. =) Check it out HERE!
5 comments:
I am definitely doing NaNo again this year. I've talked to my Mom and she says for my November writing project, NaNo will work... Provided I win. If not, I have to give an oral report (for me, that's motivation enough!). ;)
My username on there is Melian. Last year it was MelianTaralom, but I lost the password and have since closed down the email associated with that account (Argh...).
Anyhow, I hope you win... I'm sorry about your carpal tunnel...
Love & Hugs,
Noelle
I am considering doing NaNo this year....so would you say overall your experience with it was a good one? Or no?
Well, I guess I live in a cave, LOL. This is the first time I have heard about NaNo, I am going to look at it more, mabey my brother and I will both enter!Thanks for posting about it!
Sierra
Thank you for the comments! =)
Shaynie: NaNo was a ton of fun for me. Definitely a good experience!
Thank you for posting about NaNo! I am planning to do this year for the first time. Oh boy, I don't know what to think... but I am excited. And overwhelmed. But excited anyway. :)
Post a Comment