Monday, May 18, 2009

Chapter 2 (Listening to Mom)

I suppose I should do another chapter now. So here goes...

Chapter 2

Ben stared at his mom in shock. Josh and Lindsey coming over? At nine o'clock? "Um, I don't remember being told this." he said out loud.

"I'm sorry, Ben and Kaela," Mom apologized. "I put it on the calender but I guess I just thought everyone would look there and see it.

"What time will they leave?" Kaela questioned.

"Well, I think at six or seven o'clock. Aunt Delilah had to drop them off here because she's going to go in for a meeting at work and we were the only ones who could take them."

Ben glanced at the clock above the stove. 8:49. Only eleven minutes. And then they'll be here for a long, long, time after that. Like ten hours. How in the world are we going to fit Elandai in?

The breakfast table had just been cleared and all the dishes washed when the doorbell rang. Ben, dreading the people who were behind it, opened the door.

Aunt Delilah, or Aunt D for short, was standing there with her two children, Josh and Lindsey, beside her. "Oh, good morning, Bennie," Aunt D crooned in a voice that made Ben want to cross his eyes. "My, you've grown a foot since I saw you last, sweetie. I'm here with Joshie and Lin-lin!"


Ben nodded, and Mom made it to the door just in time. Aunt D liked nicknames a lot, and Ben was sure he had outgrown the name Bennie. He hoped no one would call Kaela Mikki; her ears grew red whenever someone addressed her as that, which was a sure sign she was mad.

"Joshie" and Lin-lin", or better known as Josh and Lindsey, stepped through the door and stared at Ben and Kaela. They were twins, both twelve years old, with thin blond hair and small, green eyes. They also had a bit of a "weight-problem" and were spoiled rotten by their parents.

The cousins stood in silence and looked at one another as their parents chatted politely. Finally Lindsey said in a bored
voice, "Wow, this isn't such a great house," and pulling out a tiny pink cellphone, she began texting busily.

Josh looked around. "Dude, where's your TV?" he asked Ben. "Is there anything to do around here?"

Ben would have loved to roll his eyes, but with a great effort he refrained from doing so. "We have a TV in the family room, and there's plenty to do around here. Like hike in the woods, play with the cat..."

Lindsey walked by Kaela and Ben and peered into the school room. "What's this--a library? It's pretty messy." Without waiting for either of her cousins to answer, she went on. "Me and Josh didn't want to come here, you know. We think you guys are really boring."

Kaela and Ben exchanged glances. "Oh," hesitated Kaela, not knowing what to say. "Uh...that's nice to know."

Man, this is going to be a pleasant day. Ben told himself.

Just then, Aunt D called from the doorway, "I'm leaving now! Have a wonderful day with your cousins
, Joshie and Lin-lin!"

Immediately Josh and Lindsey transformed into perfect little angels, beaming at their mother. "Goodbye, mom. Have a nice day!" Josh replied innocently.

The door closed. Almost like a bell of doom. Ben snorted humorlessly. He turned to Josh and asked, "So, do you want to go up to my room?" It looked as if he and Kaela wouldn't be able to make it to Elandai, after all.

Josh shrugged. "Sure, I guess. Does your TV work?"

Wow, he sure is interested in our TV. "It only works for videos. And the occasional DVD. Now c'mon--my room's this way."

Ben was about to lead Josh up the stairs when Mom held out her hand to stop him. "Ben, I'd like to talk to you for a minute. And Kaela, you too."

Turning to Josh, Ben said, "I'll be right there. My room's the second door on the right, okay?"

Josh nodded and climbed up the stairs.

Kaela came in from the living room where she had left Lindsey. "Yes, mom?"

"Aren't you going to Elandai?" Mom asked, looking from one to the other.

Ben shifted from foot to foot. "Well...we were going to, but now with Josh and Lindsey being over here..."

"Why not just take them with you?"

Kaela protested, "Mom, but they're...well, spoiled rotten! They'd ruin it!"

Mom raised her eyebrow. "Going to Elandai might change them. I know it changed me, and I was a real brat. Compared to what I was, Josh and Lindsey are nothing."

Ben's eyes widened. "You a brat? Come on."

"I really was," Mom persisted. "It's amazing what can happen if you get plunged headfirst into a war. Anyway, I think you should take them with you. Adonai did say that you guys had to go today."

Ben was about to argue when he remembered. 'Listen to your mom.' That was what Adonai said. But bringing Josh and Lindsey with us will be a disaster!

Apparently Kaela had recalled that too, because she said, "Ben, don't you remember Adonai's advice?"

Ben sighed. "I know, I know. So I guess we will bring Josh and Lindsey. But I have a feeling we'll really regret it."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments and questions are appreciated!

Izori

3 comments:

Catherine WhiteRose ~*~ said...

Hehe! I like the chapter! It is like Eustace, in "The Voyage of the Dawn" has doubled into Josh and Lindsey! :)

Can't wait to see the following chapter!

Dinalla :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah YEah Yeah!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome
Czarenih

Izori said...

yeah, I thought of that too. Do you think I made Josh and Lindsey 'bad' enough?