Sorry for the delay. I still don't have any clue where I'm going with this...
Chapter 11
Josh gazed around in wonder at all the people in Mahal. They were standing in a marketplace, with all sort of smells, sounds, and sights all around them. One man was selling some kind of pie that looked so good, Josh asked Tristan, a young follower, what it was.
"Oh, that's livercream pie. It's very good."
Josh winced. "Livercream pie?"
"You know, you take the liver of a calf, and then you puree it, and then you mix cream that's gone sour with it...you've turned green, Joshua,"Tristan observed innocently.
Needless to say, Josh didn't ask any more questions about Elandai foods that day.
--- --- ---
Lindsey was having her own culinary adventures, too. She was looking at leaf shaped candy in a vendor when someone came up behind her. "Do you know what that's made of?" she asked the someone, thinking it was Josh or Ben. She was surprised when Yeshua's strong voice answered.
"That is made from the sap of Habanah trees. It's much like the maple candy of your world. Would you like to try it? I already have some like it in my pocket. Except I made the ones I have."
"Fine," Lindsey said warily. Daran had said that Yeshua wasn't to be trusted. Would he try to poison her?
She accepted the piece of leafcandy and bit into it. "Why, it tasted wonderful!" she exclaimed, forgetting her caution in her excitement. Maybe Yeshua isn't so bad, after all. Daran wouldn't be able to give me something as good as this!
Lindsey kept all that in mind when she visited Daran through the 'glass'. To her surprise, when she arrived she saw Garian, a follower of Yeshua who rarely spoke and seemed annoyed a lot, standing beside Daran's throne.
"What are you doing here?" Lindsey asked Garian.
He merely smirked and let Daran speak. As usual, the dark ruler didn't bother to answer her question. "I hear that Yeshua and the followers are in Mahal now." It wasn't a question.
Lindsey, for some reason, started to feel afraid. She didn't like the way Daran was looking at her.
Now he seemed to speak to himself. "Perfect positioning for me to kill him. He's fallen right into the trap; thinks he'll defeat me!" Daran raised his voice as he spoke to Lindsey. "I no longer need you anymore."
Lindsey stared at him aghast. "Wait a minute! You're going to kill Yeshua? But you can't! He's nice! A lot nicer then you, in fact." There. She had said what she had been thinking all along, even though she hadn't realized it.
Daran's eyes narrowed. "I said, I don't need you anymore. Garian, would you do the honors with the new powers I gave you?"
"Certainly, my liege." Garian made a swift motion with his hand, and something flashed red in front of Lindsey's eyes before everything went black.
--- --- ---
When Lindsey woke up, she found herself in a prison. It would have been completely dark except for the single torch in a sconce by the door. Except for the rats running about occasionally on the floor, and the spider that had found its way into her hair, Lindsey was all alone.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was an interesting chapter. And I got the idea for the liver in livercream pie when we went on a hike and Mom brought liver paste with us. I tried some, and...well...it tasted what I always imagined liver to taste like. Not very good.
Izori
1 comment:
Hmmmm......liverpie, doulbe-crossing double crossers, and confused little girls that wind up in prison. You do keep your readers interested!
:)
Dinalla
Post a Comment