Saturday, September 12, 2009

Tips on Curing Writer's Block

Rin gave me some great tips for curing writer's block when I asked for help a few weeks ago. Here's the ones I found the most helpful to me, and one that I added. (Rin, if you don't want me posting your tips, just let me know and I'll remove them. I won't mind).

1). Write down 12 ideas that might come next in your book. Don't stop, even if the third one sounds really awesome. 12 seemed an awful lot for me, so I shortened it to seven. It still worked. And don't not write down an idea, even if it sounds crazy. I wasn't going to write down one of the ideas, because it sounded very clique, but it ended up that idea was the one I used (combined with another one).

2). Ask youself 'What would happen if...'. Again, let your mind wander, and don't disgard the crazy ideas.

3). At least look at the part that you left off writing. A lot of times, I think I have writer's block because I haven't had any new brainstorms. Actually, if I can just look over the chapter that I got stuck on, I get inspired a lot of times.

4). Pray. It works better then anything! And also read your Bible. If you're working on a book that has a revolution against an evil king, read about Gideon or maybe David. If you're writing about a good king that's fighting down an evil revolution, read about David and his rebellious son. If you're writing an allegory, obviously read all over the Bible!

Izori

2 comments:

Catherine Morland said...

The ones you used were my favorite ones! You can use more if you like. And of course, I can't believe I didn't think of the last one!

Emma said...

Thank you these ideas are great!
Blessings!