Saturday, July 11, 2009

Book Review: Princess Academy

People have suggested this book to me for a long time, and I just got it out of the library yesterday. Bouncy 3(that is a wonderful emoticon!) Unfortunetely, Amazon changed something around and I can't figure out how to link to the book like the way I usually do (see my sidebar for book ads), so visit here if you would like to buy the book.

By the way, I'm sort of lazy today (like all Saturdays) so I'll just copy the review from the book.

"Princess Academy", by Shannon Hale

High on the slopes of Mount Eskel, Miri's family has lived forever, pounding a meager living from the stone of the mountain itself. Miri dreams of working alongside the others in the quarry, but she has never been allowed to work there--perhaps, she thinks, because she is so small.

Then word comes from the lowlands: the king's priests have divined that the prince's bride-to-be--the next princess--will come from Mount Eskel. The prince himself will travel to the village to choose his bride, but first all eligible girls must attend a makeshift academy to prepare for royal lowlander life.

At the school, Miri finds herself confronting both bitter competition among the girls and her own conflicted desires to be chosen. Yet when danger comes to the academy, it is Miri, named for a tiny mountain flower, who must find a way to save her classmates--and the chance for the future that each of them is eager to secure as her own.

I really liked the book. Shannon Hale is probably the author who's writing style is most like mine, and the romance in the book was also very good. Miri views all lowlanders as scum, but later she finds out that there are good lowlanders, too. The bad things: some kind of god is mentioned at the beginning, but he isn't mentioned very much except for there. Also, Miri and the other girls at the academy are very rebellious toward their teacher, Olana (they do, however have a reason. Olana is very cruel toward them, but I still mentioned it because I found that to be a problem)

Overall, it was a great book.

Izori

No comments: