Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Chapter 18 (No Happy Ending?)

I'll try writing good, but I'm really bad at sad books.

Chapter 18

The wagon-driver halted the horses when they were still a good distance away from the temple. "Better get off here," he said. "It will attract less attention. By the way, my name's Erithnae. We've been in such a rush I haven't heard your names."

Tristan told Erithnae all their names, and then the six crept toward the temple.

Erithnae lead them towards an inconspicuous side door with such certainty that Ben wondered if he didn't know the temple inside out. They slipped inside and rapidly made their way towards the platform-altar at the other end of the large hall.

The other followers, with the exception of Garian, had already gathered around the altar. They looked up when the others approached.

"There you are," greeted Hans. He had circles under his eyes, and looked decades older. "Who is he?" he asked, pointing to Erithnae.

"I am Erithnae, a follower of Yeshua," Erithnae introduced himself. "I have kept silent about my faith for some time, but now I will not. I have a tomb in the garden behind my house we can lay Yeshua in. We might as well, because Daran will not spare such honors on him."

"Yes, we had better," Hans agreed.

Hans, Ben, and two other followers climbed onto the altar and reverently picked Yeshua up. Lindsey silently looked on. He sure looks dead.

The group quietly slid Yeshua's body onto the wagon, and then they set off for Erithnae's house. The followers walked on the side of the wagon, and Erithnae drove. Lindsey sat next to him.

"Erithnae, do you know much about Adonai and Yeshua?" she asked at last, breaking the silence. "Because I have a question."

"Ask away. I will try to answer, but I know little more then you, probably."

"Alright." Lindsey was silent for a second, and then burst out, "I thought...well, Yeshua was powerful, wasn't he?"

"Yes."

"And more importantly, Yeshua was Adonai, wasn't he?"

Erithnae nodded. "He was."

"So...why did he die? Couldn't he have stopped Daran? From what Ben and Kaela said, Yeshua could just squish him."

He took a deep breath. "Well, remember on the way to the temple, when I said that by letting Daran kill him, Yeshua was really killing Daran?"

"Yeah, but I guess I don't get it. Daran may die later, but Yeshua is dead."

"Is he?"

Lindsey looked very confused. "Um...I think." She looked back at Yeshua's body in the back of the wagon. "He--he looks dead."

"So maybe you don't remember what I said. Death itself would be reversed, you know. If you would just read the Book of Prophesies..."
--- --- ---

The followers put Yeshua in Erithnae's tomb, and then wearily went home to the place where they had stayed yesterday.

Un-energetically, Kaela climbed into the bed she shared with Lindsey. How in the world is this going to work out? she wondered before she drifted off into a restless sleep. I thought stories had happy endings. But maybe this one's different.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Izori

No comments: