Yesterday I was thinking about one of my books that I hadn't worked on in such a long time, Sarea (working title, y'know). Originally, it used to be what I considered my greatest 'masterpiece'. It was 135 pages long (enormous, as I ignorantly thought), and had characters based on pretty much everyone I knew, from two of my closest friends to a girl from my soccer team. In my twelve-year-old eyes, it was the best thing I had ever written.
And then came the revelation.
That's what I hate about writing styles maturing. In just one summer I had expanded my literary accomplishments to 'Sense and Sensibility', 'The Two Towers', 'Inkheart', 'Eragon', and a number of other really good books. And of course, that improved my writing skills almost too rapidly.
After writing my NaNoWriMo Novel, which turned out really good (even if I say so myself, hehe), Sarea just seemed so...so weak. Dull. Pointless. Immature. I tried re-writing it and keeping the basic concept, but I quickly lost interest.
The more I kept thinking about it, the more I would tell myself, "Y'know, there's no point in just letting it sit. You should just ditch it." And immediately afterward I would gasp, "Whoa! I can't believe I would even THINK of doing that!!".
Well.
I finally deleted the blasted thing.
And then I immediately started writing it again.
*sigh* I guess I just can't shake it. Not that I mind! (lol)
Yes, I really do want to keep that old thing. And so I've decided to take the 'NaNoWriMo approach'. I'm going to just plunk myself down and write a thousand words or so in a day, not caring how bad it sounded. I'm going to try (try--key word!) to jam the book with exciting scene after exciting scene, and not read the thing over until I'm done. Hey, it worked with my NaNo novel; maybe it'll work with Sarea.
Basically, all I've figured out is that I'm at least keeping my main character. However, she's no longer a serf, and she might just have one sibling instead of three. Also, I don't think there's room for her best friend. *gasps in realization* . That was one of the characters based on ME!! Never mind, I'm keeping her. XD
Yeah. That's a glimpse of my spectacular plan.
Izori
1 comment:
Well, what's should I do with the story of yours i'm editing? I hope it turns out how you like it.
Post a Comment