In The Inheritance Series, Eragon basically falls head over heels in love with Arya (or at least it seemed that way to me!). That was fine with me...but I don't want to have it like that in my books. I like romance that is gradually introduced, as long as it's introduced well. Roran and Katrina's romance...was, ah, disgusting. It would be great if I wasn't (weren't?) a Christian, but I am, and the fact that Katrina was going to have a baby before she and Roran got married doesn't sit well with me. It's nice that Roran was willing to go basically to the ends of the earth for her, though.
The Redwall Series has really good romance. No kissing and all that; it's more knight and lady sort of thing. Reading those has helped me a lot.
Although I do have a problem yet unsolved in my book: two of my characters (I won't tell you who because that would be considered a spoiler =) are supposed to fall in love and get married. I was at first going to have it that the young man (for the sake of a name I'll call him...Bob) was supposed to rescue the lady (I'll call her Lulu!) from a dire predicament, but then I realized Bob is so polite and gentlemanly that he'd rescue any damsel in distress and not just Lulu. So does anyone have any suggestions for me? I already used the 'get into an argument and then realize they realize that they care about each other' thing.
Thanks!
4 comments:
hm... that's hard.
let's see... romance that i'm sure you don't want to get too mushy... (I'm not a big fan of overly mushy stories, tlyk)...let's see.
ohmyword, i'm coming up blank. this is not good. i need to start writing more!
however, for good romance story recommendations, there's always the Books of Bayern.
There's a really good love story (three, actually) in that series. very, very good. i highly recommend them.
Playing off of one of those books... maybe "Bob" acts really strange around her as opposed to other women: He's shy and almost avoids her because he's so embarrassed that he'll do something embarrassing but at the same time never wants to leave her. You know, before she gets captured. So she gets the impression that he really dislikes her, but then he goes to rescue her and she's all like "why did you save me?" (you know, after the rescue has taken place) and he's like "Well.... you know... because... because..." And finally admits his undying love to her in a beautiful song he's been working on for months, or ever since he laid eyes on her!! jk, the last part doesn't have to take place. But it can be opposite from the love/hate, argument resulting in proposal sort of thing. it can just be an understanding which settles between them, when they can finally tell eachother how they really feel.
:)
dunno. those are just my thoughts. :P
Wow! Great advice, tinydancer!
tinydancer, I love those books! And I know exactly what romance you're talking about....;)
I would say a causual friendship would be nice first, and then they discover (like though a battle or something) thatthey work well together and it all "goes uphill from there" (if I may use the phrase ;)
Post a Comment