Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Should I name my chapters, or shouldn't I?

Just for the sake of debate...

Which is better, named chapters or unnamed chapters?

My opinion...

I like named chapters. The names give you a small hint, not to big but enough to get you hooked, and adds to the suspense. But then again, unnamed chapters add to the suspense too, because they don't give you any hints.

So, what do y'all think?



P.S. If I get a lot of opinions, I might do a weekly (or monthly) debate.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with you, but i think it helps to make up the chapter name after the chapter is written. i usually name a chapter, set down the book for a while, and then forget why i named it that... :P
oh well...
hay, i love debates! you should so do that. :)

Emily Ann said...

Hmm, naming the chapters is hard(Well to me it is). Most of mine are not named but then I have some that are named. I like reading books that have chapters that are named, but if I lose my place i like books that are number chapters.

Anonymous said...

I like named chapters too. But what I usually like is one or two word chapters like 'the Robber', 'the ring' or a one word chapter like 'Silvia' the ones like
'Carilyn goes to town on a rainy day because her friends are all busy and she has gotten bored.' are relatively boring the one like 'In which Phineas Fog meets his valet" is a little weird and stuffy.
That's just my opinion.

Eldarwen said...

Named characters, definitely. :)

~Eldarwen Failariel~

Anna Maria said...

I prefer books with named chapters, mainly because it gives you a just tantalising glimpse of what the book is about. I also find it easier to keep my place. Its awful hard to think up chapter names though.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I think you should! =D

Eldarwen said...

Oh gosh, I spelled "Chapters" wrong. Stupid me :P. I meant to say chapters, not... characters? Oh goodness! *rolls eyes* Hm, maybe I was thinking about something else while I was typing this. Sorry if I confused you, Izori. :)

~Eldarwen Failariel~

Izori said...

No problem, Eldarwen. I do it all the time!

Thanks for your comments, guys (ahem...girls) I guess I will do a weekly (or monthly) debate!

MyVersionofArt said...

I also think you should name your chapters, for the reasons you posted about. I agree with tinydancer.